Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Picking Up Training Slowly

Getting back into running happened slowly for me this summer.  After my marathon on June 3, I was running low mileage in an attempt to heal and recover.  Plus, it hurt to run!  It was no fun.  I started running a few of the long runs that my group was doing to train for an October marathon, just to see how I felt.  Then, Rick presented me with the idea to do the Baltimore Marathon.  I started to wonder if I could get into high mileage again without another injury.  I was a little gun-shy, I guess.

Speedwork was another thing I had given up for the summer.  I found out about a group meeting in our city on Thursday nights.  This group appealed to me  because it was led by a friend of mine, Linda, and because it was nearby.  I also liked the fact that we could bring our kids to the track and let them ride bikes around a larger outside track while we ran.  So I went out to see what it was like.

I recorded a couple of sessions here.  These sessions felt very hard to me.  At the first one, I had to walk in between repeats and could not keep up with my running partner, Julia.  At the second one, I ran with Linda and enjoyed her pace and company.  By making all sorts of grunting sounds and contorted faces, I was able to pull out some pretty good times.  These times gave me the confidence to race a 5K at the end of July. And that 5K gave me the confidence to begin full-out marathon training, which is where I am today.

June 28
Aim--2:22
600s 2:19, 2:21, 2:41, 2:18, 2:20, 2:19

July 5
100 4:42
2x800 3:06, 3:07
6x400 1:33, 1:30, 1:32, 1:30, 1:31, 1:26

No comments:

Post a Comment