Saturday, August 25, 2012

Turning 35

We were just 30 candles short!!!!
I had my 35th birthday on the day school started in our area.  What a way to spend a birthday!  I thought I could get out of the door of my first grader's classroom without crying, but no such luck.  What an emotional day!  He attended half day private kindergarten, so this new school and full day schedule are adjustments for all of us.

Two good things for runners about turning 35:

*Moving up into a new age group for awards (from 30-34 to 35-39).  There are some really fast 35-39 year olds women in our area, so this may not be such a good thing!  But I like competing with older women than me and not younger, like I was in the last age group.

*My BQ time just went down by 5 minutes!  The 18-34 year old group needs a 3:35, but now I need a 3:40 since I am in the 35-39 group.  Before the standards changed in 2011, 3:40 was the 18-34 year old time, so I pretty much have always needed a 3:40!

There!!!  I managed to find two good things about getting older!

So much more to post about training (just completed Hals' week of 2 10-milers and a 20-miler--ouch!!), but it will have to wait.  It is going okay, and now I am in a lower mileage week before hitting one of two of the hardest weeks of the program.  I am already dreading the 10 mile pace run followed by a 20-miler!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, my friend! I know it is a little late, but I wanted to tell you anyway! And I'm so glad you aren't in my age group any more! ;) ha ha. Your bit about the BQ time makes me smile... you blew the first time out of the water multiple times so I'm not sure you are going to need those extra 5 minutes for a good long while. :)

    I hope you had a great birthday despite it being the first day of school!

    ReplyDelete