Monday, May 27, 2013

Cotton Row Run 2013 Race Report--Monday, May 27, 2013

The Cotton Row Run morning started with a tight schedule and an early start!  I had to make it to a picture of my racing team at 6:15 a.m.  The lot I usually park at charged for parking this year, so I had to park further out and walk with the kids (Rick had arrived at 5:30 to set up the start and finish line).  We met for the picture, and then I left to go warm up with Kylie for the 7 a.m. 10K race.  

Kylie, Julia, and I had done a pretty tough 12+-mile run on the course on May 11 (average pace for my first 10K- around 7:30 and my second- around 7:20), but this past weekend I chose to volunteer at the aid station instead (my team mans an aid station on the course on weekends leading up to the race).  I've been adding some hills into my training and also did one session of speedwork (800s).  I felt somewhat ready for the course, but I've had an awful cold/cough over the past week.  I've been coughing a lot and feeling pretty tired, so I wasn't feeling 100%.  

My race can be summed up with one word: consistent!  I was only 4 seconds off from my time last year.  I find that pretty amazing since I feel like I am not in as good of shape as last year (when I was tapering for the Minneapolis Marathon).  I listed my splits below with a comparison of this year from last (some being only a second apart!).  Note that Cotton Row is known for its huge hill called Mountainwood, which hits at Mile 2/Mile 3. 

Splits (2012 times in parentheses):

Mile 1-6:16 (6:14)
Mile 2-6:35 (6:47)
Mile 3-7:10 (7:09)
Mile 4-7:05 (7:02)
Mile 5-6:30 (6:28)
Mile 6-6:44
.2 1:25  (total-8:09) (8:01)

Overall Time 41:45
seeded 15th--finished 13th female overall
1st in age group
84/2015 place
results here

see previous Cotton Row Run entries here: 2011, 2012

These pictures of the 10K are courtesy of Rick:

Pre-race ceremonies
Huge flag suspended by a firetruck crane
The start!
Rick took these pictures near Mile 6.  


Then it was time to swap roles: Rick warmed up and ran his race--the 5K--at 9:00 a.m.--and I took over watching the kids.  We ate some ice cream sandwiches and bagels while we waited for the race to finish.

Here is Rick finishing the 5K!  

Finally, at 10 a.m., it was time for the 1-mile fun run.  Our kids both did this race.  Rick ran with our son, and I ran with our daughter.  Our son got around 9:00, and our daughter got around 9:30.  Then we grabbed some Gatorade and headed home!  We enjoyed a couple of hours at the pool for a good end to our Memorial Day weekend!

Gatorade at the end of the race

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Your splits were so consistent each mile! Your body knows what you like to run for each part of that course I guess! Sounds like you and Rick have it down to a science- One runs while the other does kids/ takes pictures and then swap!

    Great job!

    p.s. those are the prettiest gatorade cups I've ever seen at a race! great photography there!