Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Cotton Row 2011 Race Recaps

Sunday was a busy day getting everyone ready for Cotton Row the next day.  I worked at the packet pickup on Sunday, May 29th from 3-6 p.m., celebrating my love of this race by wearing a vintage 1990 shirt there.  I saw others with shirts even older than mine and met some of my favorite group of CRR people--the "streakers" who have run it every year!  A dinner for the elite runners was held on Sunday night, and Fleet Feet Racing Team serves as ambassadors for the event.  I was able to sit and chat with Candace Jacobs (who finished second female at the 10K this year and won our Rocket City Marathon last year) and her sweet family during the dinner. 

The Cotton Row 10K, 5K, and 1 Mile Runs were held on Monday, May 30th.
Here is the start line banner:
     
I made it easily to the 6:10 a.m. Fleet Feet Racing Team group picture.  You are incorrect if you think that we "elite" runners don't ever feel self-conscious.  I tugged and adjusted my new singlet top since it was too big and showed a bunch of my pudge coming out from my sports bra.  Yes, it is possible to like your running times but not like the body that runs them (see my posts here and here on my evolving body image). 

The 10K race was first at 7:00 a.m.  Rick positioned himself in a good spot and took pictures of the runners.  He also cheered for me of course!  Scroll to the end to read more about my race and the times.  

The 10K begins
Last year, the tradition began to wear red, white, and blue to the races. You will see our whole family got into the spirit!

My daughter with fellow FF team member, Linda.
Our family CRR 2011
Rick got 12th overall in the 5K with a time of 19:18.

The children both ran the majority of their 1 mile race this year even though it was miserably hot by this time (10:00 a.m.).  I was so proud of their times--11:30 (my son) and 12:30 (my daughter)!  My daughter was able to sprint when she heard her "fans" cheering for her and also when she saw the finish line.  It was a good reminder to me that even the littlest runners like encouragement along the course and can benefit from picturing their finish!  They hugged, got some water from the awesome Boy Scout-manned table, and cooled off in this amazing sprinkler (see below).

Sharing a hug after the 1-miler
The Boy Scouts did a great job keeping this table fully stocked!

Great idea--sprinklers!
My race went well, and I finished with a 43:16--12th overall female (neat coincidence that Rick and I both were the 12th OA in our races) and 2nd in my age group (Updated: I actually appear 5th in my age group.  The top three girls in my age group were part of the top 7.  They are pulled out of the age group for overall awards.).  I felt good throughout the race--no pain--and almost like I had a little more in me at the end.  I am going to aim for a lower time in my next 10K based on this.  I was hoping to get a 7:00 pace, and I was right ahead of this at 6:58.

Here are the splits:
Mile 1 6:27
Mile 2 6:52
Mile 3 7:29
 Mile 4 7:22
Mile 5 6:46
Mile 6 6:55
.2 1:24
43:16
pace 6:58

The best part of Cotton Row for me always comes after the race, when you can swap stories and catch up with new and old friends.  I saw several friends out there yesterday running their first 10K ever.  My respect goes out to them for finishing such a tough race in such warm conditions.  I hope you all had a great race too!
Katie finishes the Cotton Row 10K

No comments:

Post a Comment