Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Running With the Strollers in Rush Hour and Rain

I ran a couple of times with the strollers and thought I'd share the "highlights."

Double Stroller

One morning while Rick was out of town last week, I had the craziest idea to get to the preschool an hour early and run for an hour before dropping my son off in his class (my son goes to class everyday, but my daughter and I go only MWF).  I arrived in the parking lot last Thursday a couple of minutes after 8:00 a.m. and set about getting the stroller out of the trunk, getting everyone's breakfasts and drinks, and buckling my two kids into the stroller.  This was before our cold front hit us this weekend (BRRR!!!), so it was a hot day, and I was already sweating before I started my run! 

Though this was the same exact route I do with my group at 5 a.m., it looked nothing like it just 3 hours later than usual.  I ran on sidewalks, mostly near a two-lane road.  Traffic was at a standstill near our local high school, meaning that people were stopped in their cars and turning to look at us as we passed.  Normally I don't mind if I see a friend or two as I'm pushing the double stroller and I actually hope that I pass a few strangers and inspire them a bit, but passing so many people and feeling a little like a circus act just wasn't what I had set out to do today.  I racked my brain for a route that didn't involve main roads or hills, and there just wasn't one!  So I continued on, trying to ignore the stares!  I passed the high school and saw that some boy had posted a large sign asking "Kathryn" to the homecoming dance.  I am a Kathryn too, and I smiled at the sweet gesture and pictured her response.  The best part of the run was the side street near our local library.  My daughter needed me to get the seeds out of her apple, so I was able to stop in the middle of this sunny run to eat a couple cool, juicy bites of apple.  Heavenly!  Made me wish I could carry an apple whenever I run! 

I stopped my run short that day, not wanting my son to be late for school and (rightly) assuming that putting the stroller away and changing into a not-sweaty shirt would take a couple of extra minutes.  I got about 5 miles in, and I learned that I don't like running in rush hour traffic!

Single Stroller

Tuesday I ran in the misty rain with my daughter in the single stroller.

The rain started on Sunday and did not stop until Monday afternoon.  So my friends and I did not run together on Monday as usual.  On Tuesday I awoke to a slow, misty, cold, and windy rain.  But my single stroller has a really nice rain shield that we bought when we only had one baby.  At the time, it was a new stroller with all of the accessories--rain shield, bug shield, and winter boot!  We were prepared for sure!  Then our daughter was born, and the single stroller didn't get much use.  I am so glad to have all of the accessories for my runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays this year!

Here is my daughter happy to be dry as we begin our run today.
Using the little-used rain shield with the single stroller
Well, let me tell you, running in the rain is not all that bad!  It was a chilly day (50s), so I was actually a little cold for the first time in awhile!  I did have to dodge puddles since we've had 5 inches of rain over the past couple of days.  So my feet were soggy and I needed my second shower of the day before 10:30 a.m. (and I had to make it a quick one to get my daughter to dance by 11!), but I was able to get my run in for the day.  Ahhhhhhhh!

1 comment:

  1. She looks snug as a bug in that stroller. How fun! I like running in the rain too. And I am like you, I don't think I would have liked running in rush hour - even without a double stroller!

    ReplyDelete