Friday, November 30, 2012

That's What Friends Are For

Today's run was a 5:00 a.m. 6-miler with my group of friends.  I started the day on less than 5 hours of sleep--not good--and then I overdressed for the run--also not good.  I planned for 30s when it was more like 40s.  I'm running along realizing that I'm already sweating in the first mile when my blinkie light falls off. Batteries go flying and both parts of the light also fly to the ground.  And it's dark.  So now I'm tired and sweaty and I've lost my light. Not my day.  

My friends quickly found the two batteries and one piece of the light.  But the other piece was nowhere to be found.  I decided to stay and look for it and told the group to go on and that I would catch up.  My two friends Alice and Allison stayed with me even though I was insisting that they go on.  The group was getting further and further ahead, so I told them, "This just isn't my day.  Go on!  I need to shed some clothes at the car anyway.  I'll just finish my run alone."  I figured I would eventually find the light.  I HATE losing things and have been known to hunt for hours at home trying to find something.  Sometimes just finding the item becomes more important than the item itself!

But these two friends stayed, and, with heads bent, searched for that little piece of my light.  At the same time, they spotted it after a couple minutes of looking.  I was relieved because I knew that I would have been out there until it was found.  I am that stubborn and thrifty.  

As I looked up from reassembling my light, I saw the rest of my group of friends (3 girls and a dog!) returning for us.  It was one of those moments where I was so thankful for my group of friends.  We've been through lots and lots of runs together, supporting each other, lending an ear to listen to, and---today---giving me a sign that I am cared about.   

I meant to include this on my blog weeks ago, and then the holidays came and I put it off and put it off.  It's time to mention it!

Eight girls in my running group ran the Seven Bridges Marathon back in October.  This was a first for 4 of them and something they trained for together while I was training for Baltimore at a different pace.  So I missed most of the runs they did, including almost all of their long runs.  But I kept up through email and my Monday runs with the group.  I eagerly awaited the results the day of the race and got a text from my friend Julia shortly after the finishes.  This group did awesome with all runners getting under 4:30 (their original time goal).  As someone who is lucky to be their friend, today I want to say how proud I am of each of them and how thankful I am for our friendship--and the running that unites us all.

Some of my running group friends after their Seven Bridges Marathon finishes!

2 comments:

  1. I love that story! And I love those girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet friends you have! good running buddies are the best- where would we be without them?!

    ReplyDelete