Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Speed Work Wednesday August 3

Today I was scheduled to run 6x800s.  I wasn't really feeling in the mood, and I wasn't meeting anyone.  So I slowly jogged on the roads for about a mile and a half before ssslllllllooooooowwwwwlllllyyy walking over to the track.  I think I was looking for a reason not to run them, but I couldn't find one, so off I went. 

I messed up my watch by mistake (just switched the placement of the different readings around).  So I thought my watch said 3:30 for the first 800, though I was actually seeing 33:00 minutes for the overall time.  I was bummed and mad.  Yes, I wanted 3:15s for each 800, and I was angry at myself for not going faster.  I "punished" myself by flying for the next two, getting 3:10 and then 3:08.  I kept pretending that, like Hal said, what I got on my 800s is what I will get in the marathon.  Of course, it takes more than a few 800s to make me ready for a 3:15, but it helped me to think that hitting the target on these 800s was at least a tiny step towards that big goal.  Also, I now understand why some people feel like throwing up when they run fast since I felt a little sick after each of those laps.  The 4th 800 was a 3:09, and then I messed something up with my watch (maybe failed to press start?), so I didn't get an accurate time for the last two 800s.

The best part of my run was seeing my friend Jane run up to the track after my first 800.  Just knowing that we were out there together helped me to keep going.  I told her that I didn't want her to see me quit in the middle of the workout.  And she was asked me if I'd later regret not doing the 5th one when I wanted to stop at 4.  And the BEST part of the workout was when we stopped running and just walked together, chatting for a couple of laps. 

Yes, we're runners, but sometimes I like walking (and talking) a whole lot more.

Times: 3:15, 3:10, 3:08, 3:09, ?, ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment